FLO by MOEN Smart Water Leak Detection System OVERVIEW and UNBOXING
Did you know that water damage in your home is more likely to occur than theft and fire combined? With this in mind, it’s not hard to understand why water damage is a huge concern for homeowners, landlords, and property managers year-round.
However, there is an easy solution that will give your family peace of mind, whether cozied up at home, working at the office, or out of town on vacation. Meet the Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff System, the most comprehensive leak detection and water monitoring system available today. This beauty changes everything!
Read on for a detailed overview and unboxing by Gary the Water Guy.
Well hello, Flo!
The Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff System comes in this great box, you kind of feel like you’re opening an iPhone. You can see how sleek it looks and the build quality is nothing short of fantastic. It’s a beautiful piece of engineering!
To install it, you’ll need an accessible main water supply line with roughly 6 inches of pipe space for Flo by Moen. Compatible with water supply lines measuring 1” inch in diameter or less. The device comes with ¾” FNPT Fittings and will work with copper or pex plumbing. A Wifi network and connection is required. A standard 110 v. power outlet is required. You will need to download the Flo app for your Android or iPhone.
There is a QR code you’re going to need to set it up; the manual shut off in case of power failure as there’s a built-in motorized valve that switches the water supply on and off while monitoring your water 24/7 — even when you are away.
What else does it come with and what does it do?
Moen always provides great instruction booklets with lots of pictures – because, as we all know, men love pictures! :) It’s a beautiful presentation of a quality product.
There is a spacer to help you with the plumbing, and the fittings to attach it to your plumbing with ¾” male adapters.
An Allen key comes with it also to help you manually shut it off if you need to when there is a power failure.
I know you’re wondering, is that all it does is: detect a leak and shut off the water? Nope, it does a whole lot more. It will secure your home and conserve your water! The Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff System does all this:
- Monitors all the water in your home, cabin, or cottage to see how much water you’re using.
- Pairs to your phone to monitor the system and also feeds info back to you by way of notifications.
- Flo learns your home’s water usage patterns and lets you check it out.
- Detects a leaky faucet or pipe burst so you’ll get an alert through the app, an email, and a phone call.
- Detects leaks from a toilet flapper or loose fittings anywhere in your home, cabin or cottage.
- Monitors water temperature and pressure and will alert you if they become a potential problem.
- Can detect small leaks in your home that ordinarily might be almost impossible to detect, so you can have them fixed to save your family money.
- Option to view water flow in real-time right now if you choose to.
- Once it gives you a warning and you fix it, you can run a health test to make sure all of the leaks have been fixed.
- Every night Flo shuts off your water and tests the pressure to see if there is a micro leak somewhere. If there is a leak, the pressure will slowly drop and it will send you a warning. If the pressure becomes too high it will also send you a warning.
- If a pipe bursts while you’re away, Flo alerts you and shuts off your water to prevent major water damage in your home, cottage or cabin. Other systems offer leak detection like Flo does, but what good is leak detection if you can’t stop the water right?
- Can monitor several properties all on the same app.
- Will notify you if the water temperature drops below freezing.
- If you are in HOME mode and there is an unusually high flow rate, the device will alert you by notification, text, and phone call. If it does not hear from you, it will shut off the water after 5 minutes.
- If you are in AWAY mode, it will only allow the water to run for 10 seconds at that high flow rate before shutting off your water and notifying you.
As you can see, this water monitoring system changes everything! I’ve been looking for a product like this to safeguard homes, cottages and cabins — and here it is, the Flo by Moen! It’s a much better solution than sensors because even though sensors are detecting a leak, they’re not stopping the water.
So what else do you need to know? Well, it needs power to operate and since it’s pairing to your phone you’ll need Wifi. But as long as you have Wifi, you can access Flo’s suite of products from anywhere in the world!
This system is perfect for every home, cottage or cabin – and especially for rentals – because you can not only detect leaks, but you can remotely turn the water on and off when you aren’t at the property. This helps accommodate guests and further safeguards your investment properties from potential water damage. I can’t wait to install it in my house!
Hope you enjoyed this unboxing and are ready for some peace of mind thanks to the Flo by Moen Smart Water Shutoff System.
From installation and repairs to water analysis and more, Water Store Midland offers services that keep your water and systems in perfect condition. If you have questions or would like assistance with quality water treatment solutions like these, reach out to our team at 705-527-5900, we’d love to help.